Sunday, August 23, 2009

Getting Ready to Leave

With about five days to get everything together and pack, it is very fortunate that I do not own much and do not need much to live.  A rolling bag full of cloths, my guitar, and a bookbag with my computer, iPod, external hardrive full of movies, and other electronics; was all that I planned on taking with me on the 9 hour flight.  Before going to Europe there are a few things you must get.  Luckily my college team at Stevens had traveled to Germany for a training trip my junior year, so I was a little familiar with what to bring.  The biggest thing is a power converter.  European power sockets run at a higher voltage than American power sockets.  Therefore, in order to plug in most American electronics, you must buy a voltage converter and an adaptor for the plug itself.  I bought two, one that can handle my laptop rated at about 300 Watts and then another 50 Watt adaptor for smaller things.  You can get the 50 Watt adapters at best buy, radio shack, etc.  The one for my computer I had to order online.  The other thing you need in order to receive payment is a signed transfer paper from the FIVB.  You can print one out online, fill it out, and then send it to USAV in order for them to sign it.  Then they will send it on to the club so that you can be permitted to play; well transfer from "federation to federation" to work.  The fee for this is 500 dollars (I don't know why it is so expensive), but the club will usually pay this.

I fly out on Wednesday at 6:10pm from JFK.  Somehow I found a flight, one way, for 405 dollars.  I am hopeing the plane is not held together by duct tape.  Most of the flights I found out of BWI, Dulles, and other airports closer to me were about 1,200 one way.  I do not know if I was lucky in finding this flight or if I am going to regret being cheap once aboard.  I fly into Brussels, Belgium and have to wait there for an hour, and then fly into Stuttgart where I will be picked up.  By that time I will probably be very tired because I am sure I will not get any sleep on the plane.  I will post pictures and topic on my room and first day there in a couple days.  Hopefully everything will work out.

All I am Bringing (Large Rolling Bag, Book Bag, Guitar)

No comments:

Post a Comment